[GRASS-dev] Windows - Bug in path handling

temporary2017 at homolog.de temporary2017 at homolog.de
Wed May 31 12:05:02 PDT 2017

Hi!

As a newbie to topographic analysis, I installed GRASS GIS 7.2.1 windows
version (Win 7 Prof. 64, german) to do my first steps. However, I face
some problems running it (probably bugs in GRASS GIS).

In case this is the wrong mailing list please give me a hint where to
address this.

First, there seems to be a problem handling paths with spaces. I
installed GRASS GIS to
	c:\Program Files\GRASS GIS 7.2.1\
which is the default path given in the setup. When running GRASS GIS,
the program gives the following output and then stops:

¦ Cleaning up temporary files...
¦ Starting GRASS GIS...
¦ Der Befehl "C:\Program" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder konnte
¦ nicht gefunden werden.
¦ FEHLER: Error in GUI startup. See messages above (if any) and if
¦ necessary, please report this error to the GRASS developers.
¦ On systems with package manager, make sure you have the right GUI
¦ package, probably named grass-gui, installed.
¦ To run GRASS GIS in text mode use the -text flag.
¦ Use '--help' for further options
¦      grass72 --help
¦ See also: https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/helptext.html

The german part of the output means:
	The command "C:\Program" is either misspelled or could not be found.

For the second bug, I will open a separate thread to discuss.

Regards,

Mark