[GRASS-dev] Which v.* modules are working with v.external'ed data

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 06:49:39 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

> Background of the question in subject: the GRASS algs in upcoming QGIS3
are
> working with v.external linked data.
>
> I've seen some modules doesn't work with such kind of data.
>
> Is there maybe a list already available?

It depends also on the format that is linked in with v.external. For all
formats that do not have a key column (e.g. shapefile), attributes are not
accessible, and attributes would get lost when modifying the
geometries.Therefore it is generally not safe to link vector data with
v.external. In many cases it does not make sense to use v.external linked
data with simple features, instead vector data should be imported to get
true topology. If upcoming QGIS3 is working with v.external linked data,
the GRASS interface of QGIS is effectively broken.

Markus M