[GRASS-dev] Unresolved directions in r.fill.dir

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 16:31:57 PST 2017

Hi all,

r.fill.dir with the bellow artificial DEM leaves part of the directions
unresolved and this area is marked in areas, although the area is filled in
the output. Here is the code to reproduce:

g.region n=220750 s=220000 w=638300 e=639000 nsres=1 ewres=1 rows=750
cols=700 -p
r.mapcalc "hills = 500 * sin(row()) + 500 * sin(col())"
r.fill.dir input=hills output=filled direction=directions areas=areas

In r71809, I have committed a fix which transforms these unresolved
directions to NULLs because in the previous implementation (current 7.4svn
and older) internal representation of angles was leaking outside of the
module.

I have 2 questions:

Should I backport r71809 to 7.4?

Should we pursue this issue further to resolve why these edge cases are not
resolved, although they are filled? Does anybody has suggestions at this
point? (Paper with the method is linked in the doc.)

Thank you,
Vaclav

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/71809
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/r.fill.dir.html