[GRASS-dev] Cloud optimized GeoTIFF support

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Oct 16 00:10:41 PDT 2017

On Oct 15, 2017 9:50 PM, "Markus Metz" <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Markus Metz
> > <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What do you mean with "a more direct GRASS GIS integration" regarding
cloud
> > > storage and/or Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF?
> >
> > Well, I tought of r.external and r.external.out.
>
> OK, rephrasing my question:
>
> What do you mean with "a more direct GRASS GIS integration" regarding
cloud storage and/or Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF, and regarding reading and
writing such data?

So, my need is to process EO data closest possible where they are stored.
Imagine a huge object storage or bucket or the like which is surrounded by
cloud compute instances. Given the data size between some Terabytes up to
Petabytes (e.g. Sentinel) I need to minimize whatever data transfer or
extra (format) conversion.

Even's suggestion to use FUSE to mount
buckets in the file system will be something to try.

However, the location concept is also causing some friction here: Sentinel
data are stored in many different zones i.e. would result in many different
locations. I have no solution to that yet but this issue  plus the need to
minimize bandwidth usage is the key for a successful cloud storage based
processing.

So I started with thinking about how to connect to current EO storages.

Best.
markusN