[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS raster files: LZW compression?

Seth Price seth at planet.com
Thu Oct 26 11:01:03 PDT 2017

Also, it's worth remembering that LZ4 is not intended for file size. It's
there because it decompresses at least an order of magnitude faster than
LZW.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> On jeudi 26 octobre 2017 18:57:10 CEST Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Markus Metz
>

> > <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You could test with compress (LZW) and gzip (DEFLATE based on LZ77) if
>
> > > that
>
> > > would make sense.
>

> > > Implementation would be a bit of an effort: either adapt from the
> source
>
> > > code of compress or from GDAL's LZW compression for Tiff.
>

> > I thought to remember that the LZW compression was in libgis some
>
> > decades ago but did not find any trace so far.
>
> > At that point I happily abandon this idea - no need to waste energy here
> :-)
>

> Another option would be to consider the zstd / zstandard compression method
>
> ( https://github.com/facebook/zstd ), that has roughly the compression
> ratio of DEFLATE / LZ77 with a compression and decompression speed 3 or 4
> times faster. This is in my todo list of things to experiment as a libtiff
> compression method.
>

> Zstd has been added recently as a compression method in the Linux kernel:
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ZSTD-
> Linux-Kernel-Image
>

> Even
>

> --

> http://www.spatialys.com

*Seth Price*

Director of Putting the Pixels Where They Belong
Satellitenfernerkundungsspezialist

*Planet Labs*

Email: seth at planet.com
Phone: (608) 335-8068