[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3414: v.import: ERROR: Invalid e-w resolution field: 0 when importing EU_LAEA point into Sinusoidal location

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 6 09:02:54 PDT 2017

#3414: v.import: ERROR: Invalid e-w resolution field: 0 when importing EU_LAEA
point into Sinusoidal location
---------------------------------+-------------------------
  Reporter:  neteler             |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect              |     Status:  new
 Component:  Projections/Datums  |    Version:  svn-trunk
Resolution:                      |   Keywords:  v.import
       CPU:  Unspecified         |   Platform:  Linux
---------------------------------+-------------------------

Comment (by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:3 mmetz]:
 > Replying to [comment:2 mlennert]:
 > >
 > > [...] I get:
 > >

 > > {{{
 > > g.proj -p
 > > ERREUR :Invalid e-w resolution field: 0
 > > }}}
 > >
 > > because DEFAULT_WIND/WIND contains:
 > >
 > > {{{
 > > proj:       99
 > > zone:       0
 > > north:      1205000
 > > south:      1205000
 > > east:       3674000
 > > west:       3674000
 > > [...]
 > > }}}
 > >
 > > which seems logical as a point does not have dimensions, but the
 default region should still be defined with one cell and a resolution of
 1....

 > A simple solution would be to add/subtract 0.5 if north == south and/or
 east == west with rows and/or cols set to 1. For latlong, this is only
 guaranteed to work in trunk.

 I think that the default region created when using a vector as input for
 georeference should always be the default n=1 s=0 e=1 w=0 res=1 region
 (i.e. the same that is created when creating a location without
 determining a default region). One could argue that the user would like to
 have a default region with the extents of the vector used for creating the
 location, but as there is no way to determine a sensible resolution, the
 risk is high that you get an arbitrarily large region with a resolution of
 1, i.e. a very large number of pixels. Or we would have to decide on a
 reasonable default number of pixels and adjust the region accordingly. But
 I think that having an obviously non-sense region is better as it forces
 the user to explicitly set the region.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3414#comment:4>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>