[GRASS-dev] GSoC Introduction

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:40:55 PDT 2018

Hi Sanjeet,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 5:39 AM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 April 2018 at 06:47, Sanjeet <edu.sanjeet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>

> Hi Sanjeet,
>
>> My name is Sanjeet Bhatti and I have got selected for GSOC 2018 in
>> GRASS GIS. My project is "Full support of Python 3 in GRASS GIS" with
>> Anna Petrášová and Luca Delucchi as my mentors.
>>
>> Here is my project proposal and everyone is welcome to give
>> suggestions and feedback:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/18kD6I7adTKmtXpGOKr4A8hf1pBcf0LNU7jiiRoi9wJ8
>>
>> This will certainly help me in understanding the requirements and
>> flesh out the ideas that I would be implementing in the coding period.
>>
>> I will soon share my wiki page where I'll be reporting my progress
>> throughout the GSoC period, once I receive the writing access to the
>> OSGeo wiki.
>>
>> Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. I am excited to be
>> part of OSGeo and GRASS GIS community.
>
> welcome in our big family!
>
> Please let us know if you need anything...

welcome! For start, please create a wiki page on trac wiki (you should
already have access there), look at the examples from the past years,
and follow similar structure:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC

We will need to decide how to manage your contributions, since you
won't have access rights to the svn repository. We might need to do it
similarly as we did with one student 2 years ago, he tracked the
applied changesets in his github repository, which could be then
submitted to Google in the end of the program. You could post your
changes in tickets (created specifically for this GSoC) and they will
be applied by me, Luca or other developers. I understand this is not
ideal workflow, so if anybody has better idea, let me know.

For the community bonding period there are couple things I suggest.
* make sure you have all the development environment ready (you
probably have that already)
* have good idea about the code structure
* make yourself familiar with the testing framework, I would like you
to use it to update current tests of the libraries, adjust them to
work with Python3 and write new tests:
      https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/libpython/gunittest_testing.html
      http://fatra.cnr.ncsu.edu/grassgistests/summary_report/
* specifically start looking at Python scripting library, it would be
great if you could start working on it during the bonding period,
specific challenges you may encounter there may help us get the
discussion going.

I will let you know if I think of more things. Please send your
questions/concerns either directly to me and Luca, or copy also the
grass-dev mailing list, so that we can keep other developers in the
loop.

Thank you and looking forward to working with you,

Anna