[GRASS-dev] GSoC introduction Roberta Fagandini

Roberta Fagandini robifagandini at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:03:38 PDT 2018

> Hi Roberta,

Hi Moritz,

> On 24/04/18 13:55, Roberta Fagandini wrote:

>> <mailto:mlennert at club.worldonline.be>>:
>>

>>     Hi Roberta,
>>

>> Hi Moritz!
>>

>>     On 24/04/18 13:01, Roberta Fagandini wrote:
>>
>>         Hi all!
>>         I'm Roberta Fagandini, Ph.D. student at Politecnico of Milano.
>>         My proposal "GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow
>>         detection" has been accepted therefore I've been selected for
>>         the GSoC 2018.
>>         I'm glad to start contributing to OSGeo and especially to GRASS
>>         GIS with the help of my mentors Roberto Marzocchi and Moritz
>>         Lennert.
>>
>>         My project consists in the realization of a GRASS GIS module for
>>         the detection of clouds and their shadows in Sentinel-2 images
>>         without using time series.
>>         Below you can find the link to my proposal:
>>
>>         https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mQyouqbHGHugn5DjEDZI3hc1
>> eU_bT_b0qLJPPwkt_hk/edit?usp=sharing
>>         <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mQyouqbHGHugn5DjEDZI3hc
>> 1eU_bT_b0qLJPPwkt_hk/edit?usp=sharing>
>>
>>         I would be grateful if you could have a look at the proposal and
>>         provide any suggestions.
>>         Every feedback is welcome and it will be useful to improve my
>>         project.
>>
>>         I'm waiting for the writing access to the OSGeo wiki, therefore,
>>         I will share my wiky page as soon as possible.
>>
>>         Thanks for this great opportunity!
>>

>>     It is great to have you with us ! I'm looking forward to working
>>     with you on this project.
>>

>> First of all I want to thank you for being my mentor!
>>
>>     The first thing I would love to see is your existing python script
>>     to get a better understanding of the exact approach you are planning
>>     on implementing.
>>

>>     Depending on what tool you prefer, you can either set up a github
>>     repository for the project, or you could also use the sandbox in the
>>     GRASS svn [1]. You could then share your code there.
>>

>> A the moment I have only some bash script. I'm testing different
>> procedures for shadows detection, which is the task that is creating more
>> troubles at the moment.  Anyway, I already had the intention of setting up
>> a github repository for the project therefore, I hope to share it as soon
>> as possible.
>>

> Please also set up a wiki page about your project. See [0] for examples
> from last year.

Sure, tomorrow I'm going to set up the wiki page!

> Looking at your bash scripts, I think the first thing to do during this
> bonding period is, as you planned yourself, to get familiar with the
> writing of GRASS modules in Python. You can have a look at existing scripts
> [1, 2] to get feeling for this works and how to structure addon code in
> order to make it directly installable with g.extension.
>
> You can find the actual function definitions and documentation of the
> GRASS Python scripting library at [3]. The functions in that library should
> be more than enough to translate your scripts into a (or several) modules.
>
> Be aware that GRASS modules create their own GUI. So, unless you need some
> interactive features in your modules, you will not have to program your own
> GUI.

Thank you for your precious suggestions! I'll start studying how to write a
GRASS module in Python in the next days and at the same time I will keep on
testing the procedures so as to show you some results and fix some open
points.

> Something else you should probably do during this bonding time is to
> elaborate a schema of your algorithm, so that it is easier to understand
> what it does at each step.

Yes, this could be very useful also for me in order to better organize and
put in order everything!

> Best wishes,
> Moritz

Thanks again!