[GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.4.1

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 29 15:03:54 PDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> The broken digitizer appears to be a consequence of moving Mac compiling to wxPython 3 from the old wxPython 2.8 that Linux and (I think) Windows still use (wxPython 4 is now the current version and the digitizer is broken in that version too).

It got released earlier this year: 2018-01-31
https://wxpython.org/news/wxpython-4.0.0-release/index.html

That means it will take time yet to reach all the various distros.

> Note that wxPython 2.8 is 32 bit and most of the rest of GRASS is now 64 bit.

... on Mac OS X.

> Unless someone has tried new wxPython with GRASS on another platform, there is a reasonable chance that this same bug will crop up elsewhere. It also looks like it may be the same bug that crashes interactive imagery classifier interface.

Right but so far there are no(t too many) production ready distros
shipping wxPython 4 (I checked Fedora and Debian).

> Beyond that, dismissing a serious problem for an entire platform of users doesn't seem a good idea.

As Martin said: we need volunteers for that and they need to have
access to Mac OS X.
Anyone able to help here?

Markus

PS: I'd rather not postpone the next release for too long.