[GRASS-dev] new addon: i.cutlines - Creates semantically meaningful tile borders

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 13 04:41:24 PDT 2018

Hi Moritz, all,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> A new addon is available [1]: i.cutlines tiles the images into tiles with
> irregular borders that avoid cutting through meaningful objects. This allows
> tiling an image for parallel processing while avoiding border effects.
> [1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/addons/i.cutlines.html

we are currently trying to use this approach on a huge (?) area of 50
gigapixels of aerial images (i.e., the free openNRW 10cm orthophotos)
which we have to classify.

In future the areas we'll have to process may be even bigger. Right
now, as far as I understand, i.cutlines is reading the entire images.
This becomes increasingly difficult with bigger areas due to hardware
limitations.

Do you have a suggestion how to deal with that? Kind of chicken and
egg problem? :)

thanks
Markus