[GRASS-dev] partitioning of vector polygon?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 16 08:04:46 PDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 10:34 AM Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 15/08/18 15:56, Anika Bettge wrote:
>  > does anyone know how I can split a polygon into n polygons?
>  >
>  > For performing area image classification I need to spatially divide my
>  > training data (points in the polygon) into spatial clumps with those I
>  > want to train different classifiers, so that I do not need to load the
>  > image data for the whole polygon at once in the mapset. The image area
>  > contains 4*10^9 pixels.
>
> Maybe I don't really understand what you are trying to do, but would
> v.mkgrid be the solution for you ?

Unfortunately not: we want to split the area of interest (vector
polygon) into subareas.
It looks like this:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Partition_2/index.html

but with the need of specifying the number of subareas (e.g. roughly
of the same size).
The polygon may have "any" shape.

With v.mkgrid we may end up with tiny polygon chunks here and there.

Perhaps some raster magic could do the job?

Markus