[GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.6.0

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:34:27 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi devs,
>> >
>> > according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0
>> release:
>> >
>> > https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.6.0
>>
>> What needs to be fixed in _trunk_ first before branching
>> "releasebranch_7_6/" ?
>>

> The two following enhancement tickets would be really good to resolve
> before 7.6 (branch or at least release) since it requires CLI API to be
> consolidated. #3586 is a blocker because it needs an API change (new API
> which is now in trunk, 7.5) and #3585 would be good to have resolved before
> this new API is publicized (it suggests to simplify it at the cost of
> duplication or potential confusion).
>
> #3585 Don't require -c for --tmp-location
> #3586 Add XY location to grass command interface
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3585
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3586

I fixed and closed these two last week.

#3348 or other bugs or annoyances don't prevent us from branching as they
don't involve large code changes which would make subsequent backports
impossible nor they are API changes which could lead to bad legacy APIs or
API breaks.

There are no tickets marked as blocker or critical and there is only 8
defect tickets.

Additionally, the `grass --tmp-location` flag is probably (hopefully)
addition useful enough to make for next minor release. (Forgive me for not
recalling other changes.) [Side note: I'm saying this because I just saw a
note somewhere complaining that now software is released based on different
occasions not when it is ready for the next version. In our case, we missed
the birthday date, but we have features and fixes!]

Best,
Vaclav

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3348