[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3448: v.buffer native failures

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Thu Aug 23 11:46:23 PDT 2018

Thanks for the explanation.
Ticket created…

From: Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
Sent: torsdag 23. august 2018 17:20
To: Stefan Blumentrath <Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no>
Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3448: v.buffer native failures

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM Stefan Blumentrath <Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no<mailto:Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no>> wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> I am not too familiar with C and the like so I might confuse some things here...
>
> I noticed that using .buffer() in PyGRASS gives a lot of "using native format" output.

this "using native format" refers to the format of newly created vector maps (could also be OGR via v.external.out)

> So I looked it up and it seems to be using native buffering (Vect_area_buffer2):
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/python/pygrass/vector/geometry.py#L1654
>
> And Vect_area_buffer2 is the non-geos buffering, right?
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/vector/v.buffer/main.c#L564
>
> So, should then PyGRASS be changed/fixed to use geos buffering too?

all vector buffering functions in the vector libs are GRASS native functions, only the module v.buffer uses GEOS buffering. That means you should use v.buffer instead of vector library functions.

> Shall I open a ticket?

yes please, pygrass should use the module v.buffer, or GEOS functions

Markus M