[GRASS-dev] r.series method=minimum yields float map when integer maps are used as input

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 28 02:01:09 PDT 2018

Veronica Andreo wrote:

> If I use a series of integer type maps as input to t.rast.series or
> r.series and select minimum as method, the output is a floating point map.
> I would have thought that if the input are integers then output should be
> integer as well. I realized when I made a plot of the map and got a smooth
> legend instead of integer numbers.

> Is this an expected behaviour?

The type of the output map is independent of the inputs, determined
solely by the method. The count, diversity, min_raster and max_raster
methods generate integer maps; all other methods generate
floating-point maps.

It probably wouldn't be particularly involved to add another flag to
the method table to indicate that a particular method will always
produce an integer result for integer inputs.

Also, the use of weights= forces the output to floating-point even if
the method doesn't actually support the use of weights.