[GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.6.0

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:10:05 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 5:52 PM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 4:14 PM Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > It still works for me, there are 2 patches for ctypes,
>
> Ah, I had overlooked that.
>
> > I use the  patch_ctypes_changes_from_fork.diff
> > that might be the issue you have. But I agree it needs to be merged
soon.

> Funny suggestion: we make a branch on the github mirror :)
> Might simplify testing...

My guess is that it may complicate other things. Let's just branch 7.6 in
Subversion and apply the patches to trunk afterwards. Anna's suggestion of
a quick 7.8 release with Python 3 support makes sense. I'm just afraid that
this might create big time gap between 7.8 and 8.0. In that case, I would
lean towards putting these patches to 7.6 but only in case there is a lot
of people eager to test the code ideally with both Python 2 and 3 because
we won't be switching to Python 3 being the recommend one yet (or?). In any
case, there is no reason to postpone branching of 7.6. This can be still
decided and merged later before 7.6.0 RC1.

Vaclav