[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] New Google Scholar profile: "GRASS Development Team"

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Dec 9 13:52:55 PST 2018

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 10:02 PM Ken Mankoff <mankoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2018-12-09 at 10:24 -0800, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
                   ^--- that was my starting point...

> >> Is this papers about GRASS?
> >
> > yes
> >
> >> Or papers that use GRASS?
> >
> > also yes
> >
> >> And papers by anyone,
> >
> > yes
> >
> >> or papers by the GRASS dev team?
> >
> > not limited to GRASS dev team since that quite changed in the past 35+
> > years.
> >
> > So: "openly GRASS GIS related" was the idea. Should that be modified?
>
> I'm not involved enough that I think my suggestions should carry weight, but I'll make an observation. The current list is all-inclusive and any of those paper scan be found by searching for "GRASS GIS" on Google Scholar.  All this adds is a citation count & h-index. Which is a fine point and may be the point.

My idea was to generate a collection which is easy to maintain.

I did so over the past years using Zotero but meanwhile exceeded their
free plan:

https://www.zotero.org/groups/683/gis/items/tag/GRASS%20GIS?

... hence I stopped feeding the Zotero list.

> A perhaps useful curated subset is papers *about* GRASS (or papers where GRASS is the focus, add-ons, etc).

I like that suggestion and consider my start yesterday as a start with
the invitation to participate.

> That curated list is probably important enough it is worth being hosted as a page on the GRASS wiki, and not just on Google Scholar.

Some attempts where done in the past, e.g.
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Citation_Repository#Helpful_tools_and_GRASS_related_bibliographic_searches

but eventually it is a rather painful job to manually edit a wiki page
with citations.

> Anyway, the current focus includes me: non-dev, just user, used it in a paper, so feel free to add DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/tc-11-303-2017

Great, will add that right now.

Markus