[GRASS-dev] how to increase performance of v.out.ogr to geopackage ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Dec 21 00:49:59 PST 2018

Hi Ken,

On 20/12/18 16:08, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 3:43 PM Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
> wrote:
>> I have large amount of vector maps (~ 400) which each has hundreds of
>> thousands of areas and over 150 attribute columns. I'm looking for
>> the most efficient way to export these to a format I can share with
>> non-GRASS GIS users.
>
> Do you need to combine them? If not, my preferred solution to speed things up is to use GNU parallel.

Parallelization is obviously part of a solution, but I would guess that
one hits I/O limits at one point if you try to export too many maps in
parallel to the same disk.

> I realize your message was to GRASS dev and not users though, so you may be looking for a method to speed GRASS up, not necessarily your specific workflow.

The specific question was about the use of the OGR variables for
speeding up the process of writing to SQLite DBs, but parallelization is
always a path to look at as well.

Moritz