[GRASS-dev] Release policy: towards an urgent GRASS GIS release with Python3 support

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 27 03:26:33 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 12:18 PM Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Il giorno gio 27 dic 2018, 10:38 Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> ha scritto:
> Are we sure that a so big change does not require a major release, moving forward to 8.0?
>
> I remember already some discussion about it but I don't remember if we arrive to a conclusion.

AFAIK there was no conclusion.

Keep in mind that changing to grass80 will break most of the existing
interfaces (QGIS, R, ...) which rely on grass7x for startup. It will
take a long time for them to catch up and propagate their needed
changes through their update channels.
And Python3 support is rather a "must" nowadays, rather a big bugfix
than a new feature.

My suggestion would be to see it in a rather pragmatic way and use V8
to roll out e.g. a new raster format.

my2cents,
Markus