[GRASS-dev] External providers in QGIS

Rashad Kanavath mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 06:25:15 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 3:03 PM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont think that it is possible to make it more generic. It's not only
> descriptors with only outputs and inputs. Each backend app has its own
> logic. GRASS needs outputs to be converted to its own format. SAGA accepts
> only SHP for vector layers and generates its own SDAT format for raster
> outputs. Parameters are also not passed in the same way to all apps. SAGA
> has extent parameters splitted in 4 params with bbox coordinates. Each
> provider has a different way of indicating a boolean value in the console
> call. In short, the logic must be there somehow, specific for the provider,

can you confirm that a GRASS input/output parameter can solve their issue?.
Still there is SAGA and other stuff. So generic provider is not something
QGIS team can do. But I would like to know about this on GRASS issue.

> What is the difference between maintaining a set of descriptor files (as
> you propose) and a set of descriptor files + a class extending
> GeoAlgorithmProvider with the logic (as it happens now)?. I think it is
> easier to have a solid provider class for OTB and then do not ever change
> it (assuming OTB syntax will never change), than having a generic provider,
> which looks rather unfeasible.
>
> Still OTB requires some changes in processing plugin to work. the old way
of twisting application only for QGIS must be avoided.
Without such a change there is no long-term existence even as plugin. Or
worse, it exists and will be broken.
QGIS must recognize such a behavior and avoid adding  burden on external
toolboxes' developer teams by asking for splitting applications. Be it OTB,
GRASS, SAGA whatever.

While I was at it, I saw there is less stuff to be managed and can be done
using a customwidgetwrapper for OTB. because a custom widget wrapper works
in a special way only for one provider.
Hence the idea of generic provider came up!.  In  case of GRASS its
input/output parameter, for OTB it is selection list parameter.

Thanks for your valuable feedback on this. I am sure an idea of generic
provider came up sometime during your work on processing plugin.
It tough and need more expert work and safe is to avoid it totally. I agree
on that part.

--
Regards,
   Rashad