[GRASS-dev] liblas, laslib, lastools, anaconda, and GRASS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 18:43:22 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

> So here is an email chain with the conda-forge maintainers of the LAStools
> package about liblas in Anaconda which is not liblas, but actually laslib
> misnamed. This is why there is no liblas-config. Since liblas.dylib is
> installed with the lastools package in Anaconda, I asked if they might also
> create a liblas-config file (not currently installed) so that GRASS can
> compile against it for LiDAR support

Since that's the case, it doesn't seem that just liblas-config would solve
it. Daniel Clewley says "LASlib isn't a drop in replacement for libLAS
(different function names for one thing) you'd have to modify the GRASS
code if you wanted to use LASlib." Perhaps simpler than changing it to
PDAL, but I'm not sure if worth it. But I haven't seen the LASlib API.

> The upshot is that LAStools (and laslib, misnamed as liblas) can be
> installed through Anaconda, but not the packages we know as libLAS. Also,
> it seems like libLAS is no longer maintained and superseded by LASlib and
> related tools.

So far various people kept libLAS alive:

https://github.com/libLAS/libLAS/commits/master

But the situation is not ideal.

> I have an email from William Kyngesburye (copied) from several years ago
> suggesting that GRASS lidar support could potentially use LASlib instead of
> liblas. But I don't know what that would involve.

As I said above, I dpn't know the LASlib API, but my guess is that it would
be possible, but I think the question is if somebody can work on it.

>From what I understood replacement for libLAS is PDAL, but definitively not
a drop-in one. I was not able to dedicate any time to it lately except for
accepting patch from felixg few days ago which makes v.in.pdal work with
current PDAL. Also I have been told that PDAL package for Anaconda is
coming soon (in days).

Best,
Vaclav