[GRASS-dev] v.to.rast for polygons not overlapping center of raster cell

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 14:40:59 PST 2018

Hi devs,

I have hundreds of vector maps corresponding to a time series of burned
areas in the state of Victoria, Australia. To be able to extract the number
of classes (diversity) and the most common LC/slope burned (mode), I need
to transform each polygon vector map to raster, then use r.statistics, then
use r.mapcalc "LC_mode = @bushfire_20000103_LC_mode" and then v.rast.stats
(could use v.rast.stats directly if it had mode and diversity) to get the
values.

In any case, my problem arises when polygons do not overlap the center of
the cell and therefore I get null rasters out of v.to.rast [1].
Consequently I cannot get info of LC and slope classes for those polygons.

Is there a way to avoid this behavior in v.to.rast and be able to get info
for those polygons too? How can I get a list of all the polygons that do
not overlap the center of the grid cells to then use a different approach
for those ( if they are not too many :-/ )?

What would you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Vero

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2015-October/076676.html