[GRASS-dev] r.series with file option - too many files open

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 07:12:43 PST 2018

Hi devs,

I am trying to run r.series with a large number of input maps (5000).
Given the large number of input maps, I am using the 'file' option.

GRASS 7.5.svn (latlon):~ > r.series output=speciescount method=sum file=test.txt

I get the warning:

WARNING: G__open(read): Unable to open

          '/home/paulo/Data/HASdata/latlon/redlist/cellhd/Eulemur_fulvus':

          Too many open files

ERROR: Error reading reclass file for raster map <Eulemur_fulvus>

Eulemur_fulvus is the 511th file on the list. From the help file, I
thought that using the /file/ option will prevent one from hitting open
files limit and the size limit of command line arguments. Am I
misunderstanding the r.series helpfile?