[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2018 report week 07 - GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection

Roberta Fagandini robifagandini at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:06:00 PDT 2018

> Ciao Roberta,

Ciao Stefan,

> Thanks for all your excellent work and comprehensive documentation and
> information also on dev list.

Thank you, I'm glad you appreciate it and I hope it will be useful for you!

> In the light of the discussion around the Sentinel-2 pre-processing
> wrapper script, I was wondering if you plan / were considering to add a
> multi-temporal approach to cloud detection [1,2,3] to your module?

No at the moment, I'm sorry. I have never worked on a multi-temporal
approach for cloud detection, one of the main goals of my PhD research is
indeed the definition of a procedure for the identification of clouds on a
single image.
Maybe it would take too long to integrate a new multi-temporal approach
into the project now.

> If your GSoC was a "pick and choose event”, I would personally be more
> than satisfied with an “i.atcorr.params” module (or the like) that compiles
> 6s input file (maybe just with simple user input on geometrical conditions,
> aerosol model, …) instead of a wrapper for a full preprocessing chain, if
> that allows you to work on a (at least preliminary) multitemporal could
> detection procedure…
>

> Maybe you discussed this already with your mentors. So, I have no
> intentions to interfere here, just indicate my personal preferences 😉 …

I have already discussed the next steps of the project with my mentors and
we thought of integrating other algorithms for cloud detection (e.g. fmask)
into the module. I'm not able to evaluate if an existant multi-temporal
algorithm can be easily and quickly integrated into the module.
I will certainly read the links you suggested, but in the meantime, if you
have more precise ideas about it, please let me know..maybe it could be
easier than I expect! ;-)

I would like to know what you think, Moritz and Roberto, about the
integration of a multi-temporal approach in the module.

> As for AOT estimation, this paper might be of interest?
>
> http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/9/12/1230/htm
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Stefan

Cheers,