[GRASS-dev] Report assigned color table for a map

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Jul 16 00:54:16 PDT 2018

* Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> [2018-07-15 20:49:32 +0200]:

>On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Nikos Alexandris
><nik at nikosalexandris.net> wrote:
>> How do we know a map has already a color table assigned?
>> Wouldn't this be "important" to have it reported by `r.info`, for example?
>
>Yes, would make sense to me (also in r3.info).
>
>This code snippet may do it (raster/r.colors/edit_colors.c, line 322:)
>
># for r.info:
>int have_colors;
>have_colors = Rast_read_colors(name, mapset, &colors);
>

># for r3.info
>int have_colors;
>have_colors = Rast3d_read_colors(name, mapset, &colors);
>
>Would you write a patch?

Markus, you mean a "boolean" to report presence/absence?

What about getting the actual name of the color table?
And a `-p  Print name or rules of the assigned color table" flag?

If the map has one of the pre-defined color table rules assigned,
print the name of the rules (one that is part of the `-l` list).

If the rules are custom, print "custom [rules]".
Or print the rules themselves?

`-l` and `-d` flags where recently worked on, if I recall correctly.

>> Also, `r.colors` does "-w Only write new color table if it does not
>> already exist". But how do we report an "existing" color table (of
>> course, except of manually checking if a map's name file exists in
>> colr)?
>>
>> By the way, maybe this one message can be changed to:
>> "-w  Create only if the map has no color table assigned"
>
>maybe something like
>"-w  Create color table only none yet assigned"

>?

"-w  Create color table only if none [yet] assigned"

or

"-w  Create color table only if non assigned"

Personally I would prefer the word map to be included.

Thank you Markus, Nikos