[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2018 report week 10 - GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jul 24 05:43:43 PDT 2018

Hi Roberta,

Roberta Fagandini <robifagandini at gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 24. Juli 2018,
11:38:

> Hi Martin,
> as Moritz suggested, Id like to have your opinion about the implementation
> of a new procedure for downloading Sentinel images avoiding too many
> dependencies.

I'm following loosely as I'm on the road at time but I'd like to better
understand this discussion.

I'm working on a module (i.sentinel.preproc [0]) which wraps the import and
> the atmospheric correction of sentinel images. My intention is to add also
> the download phase but I'd like to avoid dependencies. That's

the reason why I'm not using i.sentinel.download at the moment.

This isn't clear to me so far. The only potential dependency would be

g.extension i.sentinel

right? Which uses a pip installable library.

I found this python script [1] that maybe could solve the problem of
> dependencies and it could be a good starting point.

For me that script doesn't work, tried a few days ago (while
i.sentinel.download does work).
What is the advantage of having the dependency [1] over an existing GRASS
add-on?

What do you think?

> As always any feedback is welcome!

I'd rather consider to share code with the existing addon than starting
from scratch.
But perhaps I'm still overlooking something.

My 0.02 holiday cents :)
Markus