[GRASS-dev] ​GSoC 2018 report week 03 - GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection

Roberta Fagandini robifagandini at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:14:16 PDT 2018

Hi all!

Thank you, Moritz and Nikos, for your suggestions!

> Ciao Roberta,
>
> great work!
>
> Moritz got me faster, as I intended to chime in, with similar
> suggestions.
>
> So +1 for:
>
> - a "real" module, as Moritz described it

Done! I added the folder to my github repository but I have some trouble
compiling the module with g.extension:

g.extension extension=i.sentinel.mask operation=add url=
https://github.com/RobiFag/GRASS_clouds_and_shadows

error message:
g.extension extension=i.sentinel.mask operation=add url=
https://github.com/RobiFag/GRASS_clouds_and_shadows
Fetching <i.sentinel.mask> from <
https://github.com/RobiFag/GRASS_clouds_and_shadows/archive/master.zip> (be
patient)...
Compiling...
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/tmp/grass7-roberta-701
4/tmpe7QEso/i.sentinel.mask/scripts/i.sentinel.mask', needed
by `script'. Stop.
/bin/sh: 1: cannot create /usr/lib/grass74/error.log:
Permission denied
make: *** [i.sentinel.mask] Error 2
ERROR: Compilation failed, sorry. Please check above error messages.

any suggestion?

> - for using the metadata file, and parsing it -- my experience with
>  Landsat and other high-resolution satellite products, showed it's best to
>  trust the individual metadata that accompany an acquisition.
>   Parameters may be very specific to one single acquisition.
>  Also, a module that is designed to be "dynamic" is more
>  future-proof and easy to maintain and update.
>   For example, reading band names from the meta-data, as opposed to more
>  "static" designs, i.e. expecting specific hardcoded options, such as
>  band names, or their order.

I have already thought about parsing the metadatafile to retrieve the input
bands but at the moment the module requires atmospherically corrected bands
and if users perform the atmospheric correction on their own I don't have
any control on naming. Moreover, the module needs to know which raster map
corresponds to the blue band, to the green band and so on in order to apply
the rules for clouds and shadows detection. Therefore I need users specify
each band but maybe I can manage this issue requiring a specific suffix in
the bands' names (e.g. blabla_blue, blabla_green, etc.). In this way, users
have to provide only the prefix (blabla) while the module search for all
raster maps with the specified prefix and at the same time it is able to
recognize each band.

Anyway, the aim of the next coding period is to create a python script that
wraps in a single GRASS module the download and import phase
(i.sentinel.download and i.sentinel.import), the atmospheric correction
using i.atcorr and the cloud and shadow detection procedure. In particular,
for what concerns the atmospheric correction, I'd like to implement an
iterative procedure that executes i.atcorr for all bands of the input image
changing accordingly the requested input parameters. This part should
simplify the management of input maps.

> - PEP8 rules and keeping module options in separate lines to increase
> legibility
>
> In line with the suggestions on style, I would stress out to fully
> spell out the names of functions, options, descriptions of flags,
> iterables and iterators.  It will make it easier for the next reader of
> your code.

Yes, you are both right!! I have to clean up the code from the style point
of view and it will be one of the tasks of this week and especially of the
last days before the GSoC Evaluation.

> Finally, it's a good idea to write even mini-tests, while you are
> progressing, for the small functions that eventually develop to keep the
> full scrip compact, functional and more legible.
>
> Writing a test, for your module, in the end, will be much easier.

Sorry Nikos but I don't really understand what you mean by
"mini-tests"..are you referring to the examples in the manual page?

> I am sure you know all this. Yet, discussing it is a good thing in
> my view.

Discussing it is very useful especially for me so please do not take
anything for granted and keep sending me your feedback!

> Keep up the good work, Nikos

Cheers!
Roberta