[GRASS-dev] a proposal to rename "location"

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 19:07:52 PDT 2018

I had an interesting relevant experience trying the current GitLab
interface: When logged in, I clicked the + button to create a new
repository. Well, I found New project, New group, and New snipped. I was
quite sure I don't want snipped and group, but for couple seconds I was not
convinced I want a project. My thinking was: "I don't want to start a new
project, I just want to put my files in a repo." So, there is the confusion
about what project means.

The word project at the end makes a lot of sense for GitLab context
(project is repo, issues and more), but it seems that project for GRASS
users can be anything: database ("grassdata"), location, or mapset and
partially also workspace which has the same position in GUI as projects in
many other software packages.

As a reminder, this should be considered in the context of redesign of the
new startup which focuses on how the concepts and functions are delivered
to the user rather than terminology (but terminology is naturally part of
it):

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/New_Startup