[GRASS-dev] GSOC 2018 project for GRASS GIS

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:50:00 PST 2018

Hi Sanjeet,

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Sanjeet <edu.sanjeet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Sanjeet Bhatti and I am an MSc. student in Computer Science
> from University of Saskatchewan, Canada. I was going through the list
> of GSOC project ideas of GRASS GIS and I found one that caught my
> interest: "Full support of Python 3 in GRASS GIS".
> I am familiar with python programming as well as have a basic
> understanding of wxPython. Currently, I am setting up my development
> environment by checking out the development branch (trunk) of GRASS 7
> available at this link[0].
> Are there any initial tasks that I should be doing apart from listing
> the generally used solutions for migrating from Python 2 to 3? And,
> where do I need to submit these?

I would leave that up to you, you can send it in email, post it on
your github or whatever seems convenient for you.
Regarding the GUI, you can look at this ticket:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3510

Basically, the GUI is mostly ported to work with wxPython4 (phoenix),
which is (unlike wxpython 3) Python 3 ready. So far we are running the
GUI on Python 2.7 only. There are some loose ends and depreciation
warnings, which would be nice to get rid of. Since we need to keep
backwards compatibility with wxpython 3, we wrapped some GUI classes
(gui/wxpython/gui_core/wrap.py), so you can start there. You need to
test your changes under both wxpython 3 and 4. Let me know if you need
more clarification. More info what is Attribute Table manager:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/wxGUI.dbmgr.html
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxGUI_Attribute_Table_Manager

To post a patch in that ticket, you need to get osgeo id:
https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/osgeo_userid/

Best,

Anna