[GRASS-dev] Brainstorm about new GRASS GIS startup

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Mar 19 14:34:58 PDT 2018

Hi Moritz,

Looks nice.

The "Open into a predefined lat-long location but give information message" option seems less involved than the first. Thus if "simplification" is the aim, I would probably continue in that direction. Having lots of choices already at the first startup-screen is probably counter-productive.

An example location can be helpful for new users to get the concept in any case. And I would suggest to start the predefined lat-lon location in a mapset other than PERMANENT...

However, the placement of the GISDBASE directory is also an important choice, that is not covert by the current mockups. So, maybe a more wizard like approach might be worth a thought? Right after choosing the GISDBASE dir, there can then be a "let me explore in sample project" button (together with the other main buttons from the first alternative maybe).

In any case, I would also consider a "don`t show this message again" checkbox together with a grassrc setting...

And users should be informed in advance before additional data is downloaded.

Cheers
Stefan

P.S.: A less relevant side note: Personally I rather translate mapsets with "projects" (but that is not very accurate either)...