[GRASS-dev] any randomness in i.segment ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Mar 28 06:04:43 PDT 2018

Hi,

Working with a colleague and comparing results we were wondering whether
i.segment contains any randomness effects which might make results
differ from one run to another.

In the manual it says in section Seeds in the chapter on region growing:

"The seeds map can be used to provide either seed pixels (random or
selected points from which to start the segmentation process) or seed
segments."

which sounds as if the module creates random seeds if none are given.
Looking through the code, I do not find such creation of random seeds,
though. Is this just me not looking correctly, or aren't there any ?

Moritz