[GRASS-dev] how to determine best k in a set of unsupervised classifications?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Oct 31 04:19:55 PDT 2018

* Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com> [2018-10-31 00:23:57 +0100]:

>Hi devs,

Hi Vero,

(not a real dev, but I'll share what I think)

>I'm writing to ask how do one determine the best number of classes/clusters
>in a set of unsupervised classifications with different k in GRASS?

You already know better than me I guess, but I'd like to refresh my mind
on all this a bit.

I guess the only way to tell if the number of classes is "best", is to
judge yourself by inspecting the "quality" of the clusters returned.

One way to tell would be to compute the "error of clusters" which would
be the overall distance between the points that are assigned to a
cluster and its center.  I guess comparing the overall errors between
different clustering settings (or even algorithms?), would give an idea
about how close points are around the centers of clusters.
Maybe we could implement something like this.

(All this I practiced during an generic Algorithmic Thinking course.  I
guess it's applicable in our "domain" too.)

>I use i.cluster with different number of classes and then i.maxlik that uses a
>modified version of k-means according to the manual page. Now, I would like
>to know which unsup classif is the best within the set.

Sorry, I guess I have to read up:  what is "unsup classif"?

>I check the i.cluster reports (looking for separability) and then explored the
>rejection maps. But none of those seems to work as a crisp and clear
>indicator. BTW, does anyone know which separability index does i.cluster
>use?

I am interested to learn about the distance measure too.  I am looking
at the source code of `i.cluster`.  And then, searching around, I think
it's this file:

grasstrunk/lib/cluster/c_sep.c

and I/we just need to identify which distance it measures.

Nikos