[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] experimental Python 3 support in trunk

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:56:40 PDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 9:41 PM Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> st 5. 9. 2018 v 21:38 odesílatel Markus Metz
> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> napsal:
> > alternatively, the shebang in GRASS *.py files can be changed to
python3 (should be changed to python3 according to Python developer's Guide
PEP394)

> we are going to support both Python2 and 3, at least for 7.6/7.8, right?
Ma

the symbolic link python is deprecated and will disappear soon from current
distros: GRASS does not work if python does not exist, while python2 and/or
python3 might exist. Current distros are already replacing the shebang in
GRASS *.py files with python2. IMHO, if we want to support python3 we need
to change the shebang accordingly: no more support for python2 in trunk.

- python as a link to python2 is no longer available on modern distros
- python3 is older than GRASS7
- all currently supported distros provide a full python3 environment

Markus M