[GRASS-dev] area calculations in several GIS

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Sep 26 06:52:42 PDT 2018

FYI:

Here are GRASS area measures for the given geometry:
In WGS84: 14718097678.6716
In UTM 33 (an appropriate UTM CRS): 14707741818.1113

So, in WGS84, GRASS is as close to Planimeter as most of the other GIS (that probably also use WGS84, "on the fly")...

curl https://gist.githubusercontent.com/kbevers/207b5bcb9be20e7554abe5f56742ec2c/raw/5bf6cd03bb1d03e86523f1602664567b4de8198e/ellipsoidal_area.geojson -o ellipsoidal_area.geojson

# In WGS84 location:
v.in.ogr input=/home/user/ellipsoidal_area.geojson layer=ellipsoidal_area output=area_test
v.to.db -p map=area_test option=area

# In UTM 33N location:
v.proj --overwrite location=wgs84 mapset=PERMANENT input=area_test smax=100 output=area_test
v.to.db -p map=area_test option=area

For those with special interest in historic discussion on area measurements in QGIS, see:
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/12057
(for example)

Cheers
Stefan