[GRASS-dev] which files are mandatory for raster maps

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Apr 16 09:10:25 PDT 2019

Hi Moritz,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 2:56 PM Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working with a large batch of raster maps (4550 * 4 bands) and
> including all the auxiliary files this explodes my inode quota on our
> university's HPC system.

Out of curiosity, which file system is that?

> While waiting to see if they can increase this,
> I was wondering which of the auxiliary files are absolutely mandatory.
>
> Can I just erase colr/* and hist/* for example ?

I just tried:

r.info elevation
WARNING: Unable to get history information for <elevation@>
[rest as usual]

So, it should not be a problem.

# idea r.external:
I just checked, it seems that r.external generates the same amount of
files, hence not helpful in this regard.

# idea find directories with most inode consumption (source [1]):
for i in `ls -1A | grep -v "\.\./" | grep -v "\./"`; do echo "`find $i
| sort -u | wc -l` $i"; done | sort -rn | head -10

Maybe you can still delete something?

Markus

[1] https://talk.plesk.com/threads/inode-full-no-more-space.296442/

PS: it happened to me in the past when exporting XFS over NFS (while
it worked ok inside the HPC system). In the end I had to reformat the
disk array...