[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.0 with Python3 support

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 14 08:17:44 PDT 2019

On 8/14/19 4:55 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:57 PM Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 8/14/19 12:03 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> Or should we switch to release tags?
>
> I don't know what's common for packagers.
> Any preferences?

tarballs are fine, but not being able to discover new version
directories is inconvenient. It requires updating the watch file in the
Debian package for every new minor release. The gdal package for example
uses download.osgeo.org where everything under /gdal is directory
listable (and hence discoverable by uscan(1)). download.osgeo.org is not
an option for grasss because it's not being updated, and grass.osgeo.org
lacks a directory listing of all grass<MARJOR><MINOR> directories.

If pushing new tags is not forgotten, using release tags from the git
repository can be better. You just miss artefacts from `make dist`.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1