[GRASS-dev] any special reason why choice of raster compression method is done via environmental variable ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Dec 4 01:28:46 PST 2019

Hi Markus,

In recent days, I've been confronted several times with the issue of
people trying to share data among themselves, but using different
versions of GRASS, and so raster data compressed in a more recent
version of GRASS was not usable in an older version of GRASS.

Now, I agree that generally the solution is to tell people to use the
latest and greatest, but this is not always possible / it is not
necessarily highest on the list of priorities of people to see how they
can install the latest version of GRASS within their particular environment.

Obviously, those with the latest version of GRASS can simple recompress
using ZLIB. However, compression method is defined as an environment
variable. This is somewhat daunting to many MS Windows users out there.
Is there any specific reason that lead to the choice of not using a
parameter to allow the choice of compression method (possibly to
override a default that is still defined by an environment variable) ?

Moritz