[GRASS-dev] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Improving usability of INSPIRE data in FOSS4G client applications

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Dec 14 04:57:39 PST 2019

As a heads up:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[OSGeo-Discuss] Improving usability of INSPIRE data in FOSS4G
client applications
Date: 	Thu, 12 Dec 2019 17:09:13 +0100
From: 	Marco Minghini <marco.minghini86 at gmail.com>
To: 	discuss at lists.osgeo.org
CC: 	Marco.MINGHINI at ec.europa.eu

Dear all,
at the European Commission - Joint Research Centre (JRC) we have been
working with our Contractors (WeTransform and Epsilon Italia) on a set
of actions aimed at improving the usability of INSPIRE data sets. For
those who are not familiar with INSPIRE [1], this is the European
Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) built on top EU Member States
infrastructures to support European environmental policies.

The rationale behind these actions is that GML is the default encoding
for INSPIRE data because INSPIRE xml schemas are generated automatically
from the conceptual UML models. These schemas are complex and many
existing (web, desktop and mobile) client applications are not able to
fully consume or make use of data shared according to these schemas.

Two actions have been completed over the last year in order to:
1) improve client support for INSPIRE data
2) develop an alternative encoding for INSPIRE data (GeoJSON)

Within the first Action [2], we compiled a "can I use" matrix [3]
describing which functionality associated with the consumption of
INSPIRE data (both in GML and GeoJSON) is supported by which client. The
clients tested are QGIS, GRASS GIS, hale studio, OpenLayers and
LeafletJS as well as some proprietary solutions.

This e-mail is first of all to inform you about this Action and to show
that, as you can notice in [3], open source solutions are currently the
most successful ones, but some improvement is still possible. In this
regard, we have established communication with the software PSC and/or
communities and discussed the prioritisation of functionalities that
should be improved or developed for each software to best satisfy user
needs.

Whenever other encodings (e.g. GeoPackage) for INSPIRE data will become
available, the same approach should be followed.

In addition, since the Action is formally completed but the outcomes
will still be very important for the INSPIRE community in the future, we
are currently exploring how to ensure the sustainability of the tool. In
particular, we would open an invitation to anyone (project developers,
users or communities, or simply interested people) to contribute to keep
the matrix up-to-date by testing new/future versions of specific OSGeo
tools (in particular those mentioned above - QGIS, GRASS GIS, OpenLayers
and LeafletJS - but also other tools). The tests, described at [4],
consist of general GIS tasks and do not require INSPIRE-specific
knowledge. Interested people can also submit content through issues or
pull requests in the GitHub repository [5] or contact us.

Thank you all for your attention.
Best regards,
Alex and Marco

[1] https://inspire.ec.europa.eu