[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.0 with Python3 support

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 04:08:31 PST 2019

trešd., 2019. g. 9. janv., plkst. 18:47 — lietotājs Markus Neteler
(<neteler at osgeo.org>) rakstīja:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 4:01 PM Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Too late. Python is already broken (I had to fix my scripts;
> > previously working tests are now broken). Do not expect your 7.2/7.4
> > Python scripts to work with 7.6/7.8 without modifications (depends on
> > functionality in use).
>
> This is weird. Can you elaborate?
Unfortunately I just fixed my code and moved on (as transitioning to
Python 3 has to be done). But here are two examples from the top of my
head:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3707
grass.script.parse now returns unicode strings, previously – byte
strings (too lazy to search for a specific revision when it was
introduced). Took a while to understand why calls to an external
library started to fail.

> > Still – it is not so bad – some Python parts never have been working
> > correctly anyway ;-)
>
> Please open ticket(s) if you want to see it fixed.
This is really tricky as for many aspects of GRASS Python code there
are no working examples in the GRASS source or add-ons and thus it is
hard to understand if it is broken or just "I'm holding it the wrong
way" ;-)
I'll try to come up with a test case for raster.history, as it is one
of things I can not get working at the moment.

> Markus
Māris.