[GRASS-dev] Unable to install manual for add-on r.estimap.recreation under Windows

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Jan 14 01:22:39 PST 2019

* Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net> [2019-01-14 10:14:48 +0100]:

>* Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net> [2019-01-13 23:31:26 +0100]:
>
>>* Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> [2019-01-13 19:43:10 +0100]:

>>>Bingo.
>>>
>>>ag 'usr/bin/python'
>>>r.estimap.recreation/test.r.estimap.recreation.py
>>>1:#!/usr/bin/python\<nl>\
>>>
>>>r.estimap.recreation/r.estimap.recreation.py
>>>1:#!/usr/bin/python
>>>
>>>All the other Python scripts use
>>>
>>>#!/usr/bin/env python
>>>
>>>So that needs to be fixed in your two scripts.
>>
>>I've updated both. Hope to see it working tomorrow.
>
>Great, the log is green!  It installs and does not complain.
>
>However, there is still a problem.  I am under a Windows machine and have
>installed GRASS 7.4.4, revision 70829 along with QGIS 2.18.27 (Nightly)
>via the OSGeo4W installer.
>
>I cannot launch the add-on.  The path it is installed to is different
>than the path GRASS is looking for it.  The error message is an "Errno
>2". No further hints.
>
>While installing the add-on, or any other add-on for the matter, through QGIS,
>via the GRASS plugin and the there-in GRASS Shell, I get two warnings:
>
>- one is that GRASS_ADDON_BASE is not defined, thus the add-ons are
> installed under ~/.grass7/addons (I did confirm this)
>
>- another, after the successful installation, is "WARNING: This add-on
> module will not function until you set the GRASS_ADDON_BASE
> environment variable (see "g.manual variables")
>
>This is, in my view, difficult and eventually a blocker for
>users without much of experience on all this.
>
>Is this only my own "problematic" setup?  Or is it like that for everyone
>that will try to use OSGeo4W to install QGIS (Nightly) and GRASS and
>then fetch those add-ons?

I see it is explained in the manual of `g.extension`, i.e.:

"The place where the extensions are installed can be customized by the
option prefix. Ensuring that these extensions will be accessible in
GRASS GIS is in this case in the responsibility of the user."

Should we add in this manual an example or two on how to set
GRASS_ADDON_BASE and a "typical" use case under windows?

Nikos