[GRASS-dev] v.select: increasing memory consumption

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:16:42 PST 2019

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 8:29 AM Stefan Blumentrath <
Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no> wrote:

> THanks, we`ll try and report back.

UbuntuGIS) did not stop allocating memory until the server (Ubuntu 16.04)
almost died and he killed the process.

> > Is that a bug or would v.select have stopped allocating memory at some
point before the system gets unusable? Or is this something the user should
take care of? If I remember correctly there is a “LOW_MEM option” for
v.in.ogr would such a thing be needed here to.

> > In a multi-user environment this can be a bit tricky…
>
> yeah!
>
> > Any hints? Should I open a ticket (probably hard to reproduce with
small test-dataset)?

> Please re-run the job with "valgrind", see
>
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Debugging#Using_Valgrind
>
> That will give insights about potential memory leaks. He/you may CTRL-C
it on the way to keep the server alive.

A simple run fo v.select with valgrind does not show any memory leak
(increase of memory consumption within a loop). Can you provide the test
command and ideally also the data causing the problem? That would help with
debugging.

Markus M