[GRASS-dev] Unable to install manual for add-on r.estimap.recreation under Windows

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sat Jan 19 14:49:00 PST 2019

NikosAlexandris wrote:

[..]

>> After some installation-Fun under Windows, using OSGeo4W, however, I
>> cannot understand how I can proceed in integrating an GRASS GIS
>> add-on (here: r.estimap.recreation) withing QGIS' GRASS Plugin, in an
>> automatic way.

Helmut Kudrnovsky:

>[1] describes quite well where additional data used by software is stored in
>the MS windows operating system:

>"
[..]
>AppData\Roaming is designed for use in what I’ll call a corporate
>environment, though any widespread deployment of Windows in a large
>environment could be configured to make use of it.
>
>In these scenarios the idea is that your Windows account isn’t an account on
>a specific machine, but rather an account in your company’s overall IT
>infrastructure or “Domain”. In theory, then, you could log in to any machine
>connected to your corporate network on which you have permission with your
>single corporate Windows account.

[..]
>"

>that was the reason to design g.extension in winGRASS to store addons in
>that folder structure, i.e.:
>
>C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\GRASS7\addons
>
>this is safe and the user has always write permission also in a corporate
>environment.

Good to know!

>IMHO GRASS_ADDON_BASE showing to that folder should also be set by QGIS.

If this would work 9 out of 10 times, i.e. for most Users and setups, it
would also "solve" the GRASS_ADDON_BASE related warnings, when
installing addons via QGIS' GRASS Plugin (Shell).

>some comments to the other places mentioned.
>
>> C:\OSGeo4W64\apps\grass\grass-7.4.4
>
>it's not guaranteed that the user has write permissions in C:\ and
>subfolders like e.g. for storing addons there.

ok!

>>## via GRASS GIS system-wide
>>[...]
>>and installs in
>>  'C:\OSGeo4W64\apps\grass\grass-7.4.4\bin'
> > and  'C:\OSGeo4W64\apps\grass\grass-7.4.4\scripts'.
>
>same as before

ok!

>># Installing an add-on via QGIS' GRASS Plugin "GRASS Shell"
>>
>>## Standard installation
>>
>>```
>>C:\OSGeo4W64\bin>g.extension r.estimap.recreation
>>WARNING: GRASS_ADDON_BASE is not defined, installing to ~/.grass7/addons
>>Downloading precompiled GRASS Addons <r.estimap.recreation>...
>>Updating addons metadata file...
>>Installation of <r.estimap.recreation> successfully finished
>>WARNING: This add-on module will not function until you set the
>>         GRASS_ADDON_BASE environment variable (see "g.manual variables")
>>```
>>
>>Removing it, though, does not remove the .bat file from
>>  'C:\Users\nik\.grass7\addons\bin'.
>
>>~/.grass7/addons
>>  'C:\Users\nik\.grass7\addons\bin'.
>
>such folder structures like should be avoided; no roaming possible

Perhaps this is where OSGeo4W installs GRASS GIS?

>>The only way I found it works, is when all is copied under 2)
>>  'C:\OSGeo4W64\apps\qgis-ltr-dev\grass\bin'
>>  and  'C:\OSGeo4W64\apps\qgis-ltr-dev\grass\scripts'.
>
>never seen this folder structure in my OSGeo4W environment. where does this
>comes from? QGIS? manually created?

Via OSGeo4W.  I just selected the nightly 'qgis-ltr-dev' build because
it was the only one where the GRASS Plugin is visible to QGIS.  See also
(you probably know it already):
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2019-January/055752.html.

>>The .bat file under
> > 'C:\Users\nik\AppData\Roaming\GRASS7\addons\bin\'
>>  remains untouched.
>
>that's a bug, please open a ticket.

I will.

>[1] https://askleo.com/whats-the-appdata-roaming-folder/