[GRASS-dev] Merging PRs

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 07:23:31 PDT 2019

Greetings Developers,

In https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToGit, it is not clear who is
responsible for merging PRs when. Are individual core developers encouraged
(allowed?) or discouraged to merge them? I'm talking about core, not
addons. How does it work?

The main reason why I ask this question is because merging PRs into the
upstream master takes time and I cannot wait until that happens (who,
when?) to compile all my PRs into one build.

If you create multiple branches off of master and create PRs, it wouldn't
be easy to keep track of all those individual branches in one place and
compile the personal "latest" version until the PRs get merged. For example,

1. master => feature1
2. master => feature2

Compiling feature1 and feature2 branches would only give me feature1 and
feature2, respectively, but not both. Should I do something like this?

1. master => feature1
2. feature1 => feature2

Then, how can we make sure that there won't be any conflicts between my
feature2 (<= feature1) branch and the OSGeo master?

Not sure if what I'm doing is "right," but I'm doing this:

1. create a personal master branch "hcho" (yes, my name)
2. master => feature1
3. master => feature2
4. merge feature1 and feature2 into "hcho"
5. compile "hcho"

To be honest, it's a lot of work :-(. Any suggestions or hints would be
very welcome.

Best Regards,
Huidae
--
Huidae Cho, Ph.D., GISP, PE (MD), CFM, M.ASCE
Open Source GIS Developer, GRASS GIS Development Team