[GRASS-dev] instructions to update my local copy of trunk

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 20:16:46 PDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 9:01 PM Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, got it... the `git push origin` put my origin in sync with upstream.
> So, for the way we have set remote/origin and remote/upstream, the update
> goes from upstream to local and from local to origin, is that right?

Right.

> Is there another way? I would have imagined, dunno why, that the update
> would go from upstream to origin to local...

That would have to happen on GitHub. For whatever reason GitHub does not
help you to do this automatically (I guess for case when one wants to use
different workflow...).

> In any case to update my local copy and recompile the source code, I could
> ommit the git push origin for now, though I'll need it eventually if I make
> local changes myself.

If you are creating a new branch locally, you want your local master up to
date, if on GitHub, you need also your origin/master up to date.