[GRASS-dev] [PROJ] GRASS GIS + PROJ 6 + GDAL 2.5

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:22:42 PST 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 5:56 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> On vendredi 8 mars 2019 17:01:57 CET Markus Metz wrote:
> >
> > My question is, what should GRASS do with a SRS without proj string? The
> > best answer is probably: use WKT instead of a proj string. But most of
the
> > GRASS code uses (for historical reasons) some form of proj syntax, also
> > store projection info for a GRASS location. If there is no proj string,
> > GRASS thinks there is no SRS and falls back to a generic xy system
which is
> > not always correct.
>
> The WKT will not help here. You will be able to get here, but you won't be
> able to do coordinate transformation with it. This is just that this EPSG
> method is not implemented or mapped to a PROJ projection method

I understand that coordinate transformation with PROJ will not be possible.
But having a valid SRS definition would at least allow to compare two
spatial references, i.e. OSRIsSame() should work. Having a valid SRS
instead of dumping it would also help if the corresponding PROJ method
becomes implemented in the future. That's why I am wondering about an
alternative to the current proj-like projection information in GRASS.

Markus M