[GRASS-dev] Benchmark the overhead of calling GRASS modules

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed May 1 18:49:52 PDT 2019

Hi Panos and Markus,

I actually touched on this in my master's thesis [1, p. 54-58],
specifically on the subprocess call overhead (i.e. not import or
initialization overheads). I compared speed of calling subprocess in Python
to a Python function call. The reason was that I was calling GRASS modules
many times for small portions of my computational region, i.e. I was
changing region always to the area/object of interest within the actual
(user set) computational region. So, the overall process involved actually
many subprocess calls depending on the size of data. Unfortunately, I don't
have there a comparison of how the two cases (functions versus
subprocesses) would look like in terms of time spend for the whole process.

And speaking more generally, it seems to me that the functionality-CLI
coupling issue is what might me be partially fueling Facundo's GSoC
proposal (Python package for topology tools). There access to functionality
does not seem direct enough to the user-programmer with overhead of
subprocess call as well as related I/O cost, whether real or perceived,
playing a role.

Best,
Vaclav

[1] Petras V. 2013. Building detection from aerial images in GRASS GIS
environment. Master’s thesis. Czech Technical University in Prague.
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/proj/dp/2013/vaclav-petras-dp-2013.pdf