[GRASS-dev] svn/trac -> git/github migration plan

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu May 16 05:16:41 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 1:30 PM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 2:07 AM Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> st 15. 5. 2019 v 18:20 odesílatel Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> napsal:
>> > Another thing is the need for new contributing guidelines. Git is not Subversion and committing to master won't work
>
> That's the tricky part. The direct commit-push workflow brings issues and projects tend to avoid it.

Agreed. Here two draft workflows, for
- core devs, and
- external contributors.

### Core developers
# workflow for core-developers, no fork needed but using feature
branches on master

# <make local source code changes>
vim ...
# fetch all branches from all remotes
git fetch --all
# list existing branches:
git branch -a

# create new local branch (pick a new name for feature_branch_name)
git checkout -b $feature_branch_name

# list local changes
git status
git add file1.c file2.py ...
git commit -m 'my change with reasonable explanation...'

# push feature branch to origin, i.e. original GRASS GIS repo master
git push origin $feature_branch_name
# create pull request in GitHub Web interface (the link is shown in
the terminal)

# during PR review phase, make more local changes if needed
git add .
git commit -m 'my second change'
git push origin $feature_branch_name
# ..... will be added to existing pull request

# NOTE: for different pull requests, simply create different feature branches.

#### External contributors
# workflow for external contributors - they have to fork the repo in
GitHub Web interface
# create fork via github GUI
git clone $my_for_url
# all steps see above
# push feature branch to own fork repo of GRASS GIS
git push origin $feature_branch_name   # here: origin is fork repo
# create pull request in GitHub Web interface (the link is shown in
the terminal)

Certainly we need to write this up in a Wiki page.

Thanks to Carmen Tawalika for drafting the workflow.

Best,
Markus