[GRASS-dev] svn/trac -> git/github migration plan

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sun May 19 08:43:15 PDT 2019

https://github.com/pmav99/grass)
>> > - everyone adds the main GRASS repository as a secondary remote (e.g.
"upstream")

>> yes, it sounds good to me (while my opinion only counts 0.02 cents here).
>>
>> > This way:
>> >
>> > 1. You always push to "origin" and you create a Pull Request from the
Github UI
>> > 2. To get updates you always pull from "upstream"
>> > 3. You always rebase your code to "upstream/master".
>> > 4. You don't need separate instructions for non core-devs.
>>
>> Updated in a similar way to
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToGit#Workflowforcoredevelopers
>

> Hi, any opinions on what should be the primary and secondary remote? The
the fork or upstream? As far as I understood, Bas is suggesting adding the
fork, Panos adding the upstream. There does not seem to be that much
difference, but the commands are different, so we need to decide for the
instructions. GitHub help suggests cloning fork and adding upstream.
Syncing to upstream seems more straight forward when cloning upstream and
adding to the fork...

GDAL [0] suggests to clone upstream, then add your own fork. For those who
don't have write access to upstream it does not matter IMHO. For those who
do have write access to upstream, it might be safer to have origin refer to
the personal fork. Ideally, you would set up the local repo such that you
pull from upstream and push to your fork.

my 0.2c (trying to learn fast)

Markus M

[0]
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#initiate-your-work-repository