[GRASS-dev] Number of files in GRASS mapsets

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Nov 10 23:57:45 PST 2019

Hi,

Currently, I am working on a system (GPFS parallel file system) with quotas not only on the amount of data (5 TB), but also on the number of files stored in my project area (100,000).

I did hit the number of files limit before i even got close to the quota on the amount of data (in fact at ~ 1TB).

I saw that some changes in the GRASS raster format are planned for GRASS 8. So, my question is, would it be possible and of interest to reduce the number of files per map in GRASS 8 file format? E.g. writing color table, metadata, NoData mask, and similar into one file?

A large number of files can also reduce performance when working against NFS...

Cheers
Stefan