[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.0 with Python3 support

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 20:06:53 PDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:50 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl>
wrote:

> On 9/5/19 12:54 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Would shallow clone not clone the entire repo?  But we only want a
> > subdirectory out of it.
>
> `git clone --filter` may be an option, or restructure the repo with git
> usage in mind instead of subversion, e.g. using submodules for every
> extension which can then be checked out individually.

Do you have experience with submodules and some suggested workflow for
updating the code in the submodules? I'm using one submodule in one project
and from my experience, it is extra work comparing to a single repo and it
is quite confusing at times, but I may not be using an optimal workflow.

What advantages would there be in submodules comparing to addons in
individual repos with some list of modules in a file in another repo, i.e.
something like requirements.txt or PyPI rather than repo subdirectories
which are submodules.