[GRASS-dev] PROJ6 support in GRASS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Sep 26 13:10:07 PDT 2019

> The (my) idea is that proj suggests reasonable paths to store grids, search
> paths should be available in PJ_INFO. Otherwise applications may decide for
> a directory specific to that application, not generally valid for proj used
> by different applications. Applications can then check the existing proj
> search paths and install grids to a path where the current user has write
> access. Thus no need to use proj_context_set_search_paths() and no need to
> install the same grid(s) repeatedly.

That's not adressed indeed. Currently each application has to handle that for
itself.
I may work at a later point on something related, which is that PROJ would
automatically download the grids (actually the chunk of the grid it needs) it
needs if they are not already available.
That's the discussion in
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2019-September/008858.html
We're currently half of that effort funded; we're looking for the other half

> However, there are no default search paths in PJ_INFO. Can you give a hint
> where the default search paths accessible in the C API?

Hum, proj_info().searchpath ? But I may not understand your question

http://www.spatialys.com